Stay well this winter
Together Housing Group is supporting the 2016 Stay Well This Winter campaign.
The campaign is a joint initiative from NHS England and Public Health England, to help people with long-term health conditions and those over 65 prepare for the cold weather and ward off common winter illnesses.
If you do have a health condition or are over 65, winter can be a bad time of the year as it weakens the immune system and increases the risks of high blood pressure, heart attacks, strokes and chest infections.
There are a number of things you can do to prepare against the cold weather:
- At the first sign of a cough or cold, get advice straight away from your pharmacist before it gets more serious
- Speak to your pharmacist about medicines you should have in stock over winter
- Pick up prescription medications before the Christmas holidays start as many GPs and pharmacies will close over the holidays
- It is important to keep warm in winter, so heat your home to at least 18°C (65°F), if you can, you might prefer your living room to be slightly warmer
- Make sure you get your flu jab
If you need help over the holiday period when your GP surgery or pharmacy is closed, call NHS 111 or visit www.nhs.uk
The Stay Well This Winter campaign can help you and your family prepare for winter. Visit www.nhs.uk/staywell for more information.