Skip to main content

Government rules state that the total weekly benefit income may be reduced for some people aged 16 to 64

If you are affected by the benefits cap your Housing Benefit or your Universal Credit may be reduced. It is still your responsibility to pay the full rent due.

You can use the benefit cap calculator to find out if this affects you and see more information here.

From Autumn 2016, there are some changes to the benefit cap

What’s changing?

The Government has now reduced the cap level. The amounts (outside Greater London) are:-

Household Yearly Monthly Weekly
Couple (with children or not) or Lone parent £20,000 £1,666.67 £384.62
Single person £13,400 £1,116.67 £257.69

When does the lower Benefit Cap start?

It is being rolled out from Autumn 2016.

How will I be notified?

If the benefit cap affects you, you will have received a letter from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) to tell you the impact it will have on your income.

Where can I find more information?

For more information about the benefit cap changes, see This gives you information about which benefits are included in the cap, which are not and if you could be exempt.

Where can I get some help and advice?

Our Welfare Benefit Officers can advise you on any benefit issues.

If your Housing Benefit or Universal Credit is reduced and you have difficulty paying your rent, you may be able to apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) from your local Council. There's more information about DHPs from Shelter here.

You can ask for help from DWP by ringing:-

  • Benefit cap helpline
    Telephone 0345 605 7064
    Textphone 0345 608 8551
  • Universal Credit Service Centre
    Telephone 0345 6000 723
    Textphone 0345 6000 743

Or you can speak to your Jobcentre Plus work coach or ask to see a work coach if you don't have one.

Independent advice and support is available from:-

Your toolbox

Need a repair? Or just want to check on your account? No problem! Use these links to make your life that little bit easier