Support with other benefits

Benefits are available to those that need them and it is important that, if you are eligible, you claim them to ensure you can pay the bills.

Many benefits are now being replaced by Universal Credit, however there is some details about other benefits to the right, which may be helpful.

The Benefit Cap

The Benefit Cap affects some working age people and limits the total amount of certain benefits you can be paid.

If the cap affects you, your Housing Benefit or Universal Credit is reduced.

You could be affected by benefits cap if your benefit income is more than:

Household Yearly Monthly Weekly
Couple (with children or not) or Lone parent £20,000 £1,666.67 £384.62
Single person £13,400 £1,116.67 £257.69

It is still your responsibility to pay the full rent due.

However, you may be exempt from Benefit Cap, so it may not affect you.

You can use the benefit cap calculator to find out if this affects you and see more information here.

Where can I find more information?

For more information about the benefit cap changes, see This gives you information about which benefits are included in the cap, which are not and if you could be exempt.

Where can I get some help and advice?

You can call our Customer Service Centre on 0300 555 5567 and one of our friendly expert advisors will assist you.

If your Housing Benefit or Universal Credit is reduced and you have difficulty paying your rent, you may be able to apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) from your local Council. There’s more information about DHPs here.

You can ask for help from DWP by ringing:-

  • Benefit cap helpline
    Telephone 0345 605 7064
    Textphone 0345 608 8551
  • Universal Credit Service Centre
    Telephone 0345 6000 723
    Textphone 0345 6000 743

Alternatively, you can speak to your Jobcentre Plus work coach or ask to see a work coach if you don’t have one.

Independent advice and support is available from:-

EEA (European Economic Area) Nationals

Some people from European Economic Area (EEA) countries may no longer be eligible to claim welfare benefits.

The new rules can be complicated so we suggest you seek advice from our Welfare Benefit Advisors. You can contact our Customer Service Centre on 0300 555 5567 and one of our friendly expert Advisors will assist you.

You can also see information guides from Citizens Advice.

Click here for more information about Welfare Reform changes and how they might affect you.

Personal Independence Payments (PIP, formally DLA)

This is a benefit for people who are disabled or have a long term sickness aged 16 – 64.

If you are not currently claiming Disability Living Allowance (DLA):

  • You may be able to claim Personal Independence Payment.
  • See this information from Citizens Advice to check if you could be eligible.

If you are already claiming Disability Living Allowance (DLA) and aged 16 – 64:

You may be invited to claim Personal Independence Payment to replace your Disability Living Allowance.

You will receive a letter from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) to explain how to claim. Click here for information on when this might affect you.

It is very important you respond to this letter, otherwise your entitlement to DLA could stop.

Housing Benefit

Housing Benefit is money to help you with your housing costs if you are on a low income.

It can help can help with rent and some service charges. You could qualify for this help whether you are in or out of work.

Find out how to claim.

Your Housing Benefit or Universal Credit may be reduced if you are considered to be under-occupying your property.

It is your responsibility to pay us any rent that is not covered by Housing Benefit / Universal Credit.

You can use the Citizens Advice Housing Benefit – Bedroom Calculator to work out if you are affected or click here for the rules.

Please visit Your Account if you need any help with an under occupancy issue, or would like to check if you will be affected by these rules.

Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP)

A Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) is a payment you may receive at the discretion of your local authority which can help towards housing costs. It is available to people who are receiving Housing Benefit or the Housing Costs element of Universal Credit, and where you are not receiving enough to cover your rent.

If your Housing Benefit or Universal Credit is reduced due to under occupation or for any other reason, you may be able to apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) from your local council.

Click here for more information on DHPs and how to claim.

Share This
Supporting You Money Matters Help With Benefits Support with other benefits