Universal Credit

It aims to make the benefits system simpler by replacing some existing benefits and tax credits. Universal Credit will eventually replace:

  • Housing Benefit
  • Job Seekers Allowance
  • Employment and Support Allowance
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Income Support

If you’re on Universal Credit, you can still claim other benefits you are eligible for. These include:

  • Council Tax Reduction to help pay your council tax. You need to claim this from your local council.
  • Child Benefit if you have children.
  • Personal Independence Payment if you are disabled or have long-term sickness.
    What’s different about Universal Credit?

You can claim Universal Credit if you are out of work or are working and on a low income. This means your Universal Credit carries on if you move in and out of work, as long as your income is low enough.

You’ll have to accept a ‘claimant commitment’, an agreement that you’ll complete certain tasks.

You have to claim online.

It is paid in a lump sum each month into your bank, building society or credit union account.

It includes amounts for daily living costs and for your rent.

This means you will need to pay your rent direct to us each month from your Universal Credit payment.

Share This
Supporting You Money Matters Help With Benefits Universal Credit